turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Charitable Contribution Error during Tax Final Review

Mark NY state to print and mail and then efile the Federal,

Then go back and change the Federal and efile the state and then make your changes to federal so it is correct.  

Or just wait for a fix/

That does not fix the problem

Correct it is a band aid not a fix.  A fix will happen someday.  You can work around this or wait for a permanent change to the software that allows the charitable deduction for standard deduction filers even when there is data in the fields.

Thanks! 

gj51

I cannot delete the charitable deductions on my federal return because the Kansas return uses those amounts to itemize on my state return.  What do I do?

@gj51 wrote:

I cannot delete the charitable deductions on my federal return because the Kansas return uses those amounts to itemize on my state return.  What do I do?

Please return to the Deductions & Credits section, scroll down to "Charitable Donations" and DELETE any cash entries you made there.

To include charitable donations for your state return, you can enter the donations as "Items" select "I'll value them, select "Other intangible property" enter the description as cash if it was and the amount as the value.

Go back through the review. The program will ask you for that number again although it may not be until the END of the FINAL REVIEW. (After the "Tax Summary for 2021" screen)

Enter the amount up to 600 Married Filing Joint.

gally1998
Returning Member

When I do this, it enters 300 even though I am married filing jointly and believe it should be 600 according to the form.

I filled out an online form to refund my turbo tax purchase. There is also a major flaw with the KY state efile. Cannot file either with turbo tax. Ridiculous! I will use another tax software. Was on the phone for 4 hours with Turbo Tax and still no fix. Not good. 

Still does not work. If you enter the correct amount, then it reviews again and you get there same error

In the exact same boat here in KY. There’s also a major flaw with turbo tax and KY efile this year. Have used turbo tax for years. I requested a refund online and will purchase a different software to use. Not good turbo tax! 

Mattski
Returning Member

There is an easy fix. Go directly to the forms. Select that form 1040/1040sr? I think. Plug in 600.00 instead of 300.00

That is great except editing the forms is not available online TurboTax.

Is that an issue where you can’t file because of some weird error about a dependent? I got that too, but it didn’t impact me because I don’t want to pay to file. 

Mattski
Returning Member

It most certainly is. Find the form. You will see that it has $300 entered. If you are filing married jointly enter $600. I did it. Corrected error.

Mattski
Returning Member

I may be wrong. I used the desktop version not online version and I was able to over-write the entry. Sorry.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies