turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ambrattan

Can I claim money spent for tax lawyers as a deduction?

My home state said I had not paid state taxes over a period of time. I spent a considerable amount of money to get this straightened out. Can I claim money spent for the lawyers/CPA as a deduction?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
GiseleD
Expert Alumni

For tax years 2018 through 2025, most legal fees and court costs cannot be deducted. These costs cannot be netted against the settlement. Here's what CAN be deducted in your case, if certain criteria apply:

You can deduct legal expenses that are related to doing or keeping your job, such as those you paid to defend yourself against criminal charges arising out of your trade or business. You can also deduct expenses of resolving tax issues relating to profit or loss from business (Schedule C), rentals or royalties (Schedule E), or farm income and expenses (Schedule F) on the appropriate schedule.

Expenses for resolving nonbusiness tax issues are miscellaneous itemized deductions and are no longer deductible.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

ambrattan,

The answer is no for federal and maybe for state.  For the federal return refer to IRS publication 529 (https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p529.pdf) which states on page 4 under the category expenses that are not deductible:

Legal fees related to producing or collecting taxable income or getting tax advice.

Tax advice fees.

Tax preparation fees.

However, those expenses may be itemized deductions in some states such as my own California. It depends upon whether the state converted to match the federal changes a couple years ago.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies