Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can I claim charitable donation? Due to the pandemic causing unemployment for a family in Morocco (no relation to me), I have sent $700/month for their rent and food.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

7 Replies

Can I claim charitable donation? Due to the pandemic causing unemployment for a family in Morocco (no relation to me), I have sent $700/month for their rent and food.

No. Gifts to specific people are never tax deductible.  To claim a deduction for charitable donations, the donation must be to a US-based charity that is registered with the IRS (or the US-based branch of certain International charities). 

DavidD66
Expert Alumni

No, you can't take a tax deduction for that.  In order to be deductible, your donation must go to a 501(c)(3) organization.  You'll have to settle for the good feeling for having been generous and kind.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you so much!

Thank you very much!

You cannot deduct gifts to specific people, even if it is "charitable".  Only contributions to a 501(c)(3) organization are considered "charitable contributions" by the IRS.

@phildonnia wrote:

You cannot deduct gifts to specific people, even if it is "charitable".  Only contributions to a 501(c)(3) organization are considered "charitable contributions" by the IRS.

Well, to get pedantic about it, there are a couple of other tax codes under which an organization may be tax exempt and eligible for deductible donations.  You can search here,

https://apps.irs.gov/app/eos/

Also, you can deduct donations to "US and state government", including branches of government, even though they won't be listed in the Exempt Organization database, and this can include your local fire department, possibly a state hospital, town parks and recreation department, public schools, and similar organizations.  

Pedantry is always welcome.  Thank you for the additional clarification.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies