turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can anyone help me with my child tax credit? August was what was calculated but not September or July?

July’s was mailed to the wrong address so I didn’t get it till yesterday, it was only $550, August was $800 which was the correct amount (I have a 4 year old, 5 turning 6 before the end of the year, and a 9 year old). Then September was very late and only $550….. I’m confused and the irs website isn’t giving me answers and can’t get through on the phone. I filed with all my children’s on taxes. My husband hasn’t done anything I don’t think he even has a way to check it. I don’t know how to check what Information they have but it seems weird that August (and the original check for July) was $800. The first check was returned to them and this one was in my husbands name for only $550…
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Can anyone help me with my child tax credit? August was what was calculated but not September or July?

No one can do anything except the IRS, and they aren't taking phone calls.  It is important to remember that the advance payment does not change the total credit, only when it is paid.  If you don't get the correct advance payments, you will get the rest of the credit added to your tax refund.

You can go to your IRS online account, it may allow you to view the credit payments and adjust your banking information.  The IRS stated that taxpayers would be allowed to update dependent information but they still haven't turned that function on as far as I know.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Your husband should also check his online account, you have separate accounts even if you file jointly.

It sounds like you did not file jointly?  Did you file separately for strategic reasons, or are you separated?  If a person gets advanced payments but does not claim the child as a dependent on their tax return, they will have to pay the money back.  

View solution in original post

3 Replies

No one can do anything except the IRS, and they aren't taking phone calls.  It is important to remember that the advance payment does not change the total credit, only when it is paid.  If you don't get the correct advance payments, you will get the rest of the credit added to your tax refund.

You can go to your IRS online account, it may allow you to view the credit payments and adjust your banking information.  The IRS stated that taxpayers would be allowed to update dependent information but they still haven't turned that function on as far as I know.

https://www.irs.gov/payments/view-your-tax-account

Your husband should also check his online account, you have separate accounts even if you file jointly.

It sounds like you did not file jointly?  Did you file separately for strategic reasons, or are you separated?  If a person gets advanced payments but does not claim the child as a dependent on their tax return, they will have to pay the money back.  

Sadly this advance CTC system has been buggy at best but what do you expect with a system cobbled together at the last minute on antiquated computer systems for something that will only happen once.   Everyone should be grateful it is working at all.  In the end these payments are simply an advance on the 2021 credit on the return you file next year so as already stated if you don't get the advance you will get the credit later. 

No we filed jointly, my name is always first that’s why he hasn’t created an account or anything because it’s normally both our names if we ever get a paper check for some reason on the july one when we finally got a paper it was only in his name.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies