Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Became disabled. Any income tax benefits?

Hi,

I had brain surgery in August and have been on Short Term Disability since then.  Just wondering if there are any income tax benefits I might claim?

Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies

Sorry, no there are not any tax benefits available for a short term disability.

Disability Income

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901145-is-disability-income-taxable

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thank you.  Just curious...  I hope to go back to work next year, but... I don't see the Dr. again until Dec 23.  How do we know he will let me go back?

Edit:

I stated my reply incorrectly...  Instead of 'How do we know he will let me go back?'

I meant to say...  'How can we say if this Short Term or Long Term if I have not seen the Dr. yet?'  (or does it matter?)

(Don't get me wrong, I pray this is short term....)

That is a question for your doctor to answer. 

There is not a different answer to your question about tax "benefits" to being disabled whether it is short or long term.  Whether your disability benefits are taxable depends on who paid for the disability insurance.  If you are on Social Security disability, then the taxability depends on whether you have other income.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies