Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ccbuckall
Returning Member

Backdoor Roth IRA Contribution

I made a $6,000 nondeductible contribution to an IRA after 1/1/2021, but marked it as a 2020 contribution and then converted to a Roth IRA shortly after. How is this handled for 2020 taxes? Do I report anything for 2020?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

If I am understanding you correctly, you reported a 2020 contribution that gave you an increased refund because it was not taxing you based on the information you gave to the system, but actually you had contributed to a taxable instrument. Then you converted altogether to a Roth. If that is correct, given that you've converted it before the April 15th deadline (possible to change to June 15th deadline) to a Roth - and if you in fact did receive a "benefit" to your refund, you should amend your return given that you previously reported it to the IRS as a contribution but then converted to a taxable instrument (income not excluded). Again, if this is the case, the IRS will merely take it, plus interest and penalties out of your 2021 refund, if any refund is due to you at that point.

On the 2020 return you will ONLY  report the non deductible 2020 contribution on the form 8606  ... then on the 2021 return you will report the conversion when the 1099-R form is sent next January. 

@ccbuckall wrote:

I made a $6,000 nondeductible contribution to an IRA after 1/1/2021, but marked it as a 2020 contribution and then converted to a Roth IRA shortly after. How is this handled for 2020 taxes? Do I report anything for 2020?

Yes, you enter the IRA contribution and make it non-deductible.  That will produce a 2020 8606 form with the contribution on line 1, 3 & 14.     You will need that 8606 when you do your 2021 tax return.

Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.Enter IRA contributions here:
Federal Taxes,
Deductions & Credits,
I’ll choose what I work on (if that screen comes up),
Retirement & Investments,
Traditional & Roth IRA contribution.

OR  Use the "Tools" menu  (if online version under My Account) and then "Search Topics" for "ira contributions" which will take you to the same place.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

@WendyN2 wrote:

If that is correct, given that you've converted it before the April 15th deadline

Sorry, but that is incorrect.    *contributions* for 2020 can be made up to the April 15 due date, but any *distribution* (including distributions for conversions) for 2020 had to be completed prior to Dec. 31, 2020.    After Dec. 31, it is a 2021 conversion reported on  2021 tax return next year.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies