Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Amending 2020 return to get recovery rebate credit for economic impact payment 1

Hi,

On my IRS online account, under "Tax Record" -> "Economic Impact Payment Information" -> 2020 -> Economic Impact Payment 1, it shows a non zero amount. I never got any stimulus checks, so if I understand correctly, I need to claim recovery rebate credit for this amount. Is that correct? I can't seem to find the exact eligibility criterion for claiming the recovery rebate credit for the first economic impact payment.

Assuming that to be the case, I want to amend my 2020 tax return on turbo tax to claim this credit. However, I can't seem to be able to get to that screen. I see there are posts with similar issues (eg https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/taxes/discussion/re-accepted-on-turbo-tax/01/2595329) but I can't seem to find the solution. When I try Tools -> Topic Search -> "Recovery rebate credit", it takes me to the screen to check federal return and simply says "Nice! Your federal return is in great shape". Is there a way to get to the recovery rebate workflow so I can see if I'm eligible for it, and if I can get this credit while **amending** the 2020 return?

Thanks a lot in advance!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
HelenC12
Expert Alumni

Amending 2020 return to get recovery rebate credit for economic impact payment 1

Yes, you may be able to claim the credit if you meet the stimulus requirements below. TurboTax will calculate if you qualify, also. Please see How do I claim the Recovery Rebate Credit in TurboTax?

To be eligible for the first stimulus payment: Generally, if you are a U.S. citizen or U.S. resident alien, you will receive an Economic Impact Payment of $1,200  ($2,400  for a joint return) if you (and your spouse if filing a joint return)  are not a dependent of another taxpayer and have a Social Security number valid for employment and your 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) does not exceed:

• $150,000  if married and filing a joint return
  • $112,500 if filing as  head of household or
  • $75,000  for eligible individuals using any other filing status
    Your payment will be reduced by 5% of  the amount by which your AGI exceeds the applicable threshold above.

You are not eligible for a payment if any of the following apply to you:

• You may be claimed as a dependent on another taxpayer’s return (for example, a child or student who may be claimed on a parent’s return or a dependent parent who may be claimed on an adult child’s return).
  • You do not have a Social Security number that is valid for employment.
  • You are a nonresident alien.
    The following are also not eligible: a deceased individual or an estate or trust.

To be eligible for the second stimulus payment: 

your 2020 adjusted gross income (AGI) is below,

• $75,000 for individuals
  • $112,500 for heads of household
  • $150,000 for married, joint filers

You should receive $600 per individual plus $600 per qualifying child.

For filers with income above those amounts, the payment amount is reduced by $5 for each $100 above the $75,000/$112,500/$150,000 thresholds. This means:

• An individual without children will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $87,000
  • A couple without children will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $174,000
  • A family of four will not receive any payment if their AGI exceeds $198,000

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks @HelenC12 for the reply! 

So according to those limits, my AGI is higher than the limit and I guess I'm not eligible for this payment.

I am still confused why my irs.gov account shows a number under "Tax Record" -> "Economic Impact Payment Information" -> 2020 -> Economic Impact Payment 1.. would you happen to know what that number means?

Thanks again!

AmyC
Expert Alumni

If your income was below the limits in 2019, the IRS used that information to make the first economic payment. You may have received the first payment and then your income bumped up to no longer eligible.

Thanks @AmyC. However I never received any payment. Is that something I'd need to get corrected on my IRS account? I have tried contacting IRS about this but the the support team is unable to explain what that number means either.

JulieS
Expert Alumni

Yes, that would need to be corrected by the IRS. No one else has access to alter those records. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies