turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

1099R Insurance Premiums not propagating to medical expenses worksheet

We are retired federal employees and each year the 1099-R shows how much in insurance premiums (Medicare Part B and our Fed EE Health Plan premiums are paid, via a deduction from our pension. in block 5 of the 1099R.

This year, the info from the 1099R is not propagating to the turbo tax form so my "premiums" are only showing dental and vision, not the additional $8477.00.  I keep waiting - hoping it will be in an update, but so far, not done.  

Anyone know how to let Intuit know?  

I checked previous years and it always propagated.  

Thanks. 

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

OK...on my desktop Premier I see it propagating.

BUT....did you get the 1099-R from the OPM?

IF so, you may need to delete that form and enter it again.

If from OPM, that is not a 1099-R, that is a CSA-1099-R, and during the startup of the 1099-R section you need to select that CSA-1099-R type form.   Then enter all your boxes...then on one of the pages following the main form, the software asks how much of the box 5 amount was for insurance premiums, you just repeat the proper amount...then it transfers.

I see it a bunch of pages into the Medical Deductions questions, where the page is labeled "How much did you spend on insurance premiums?   (I had used $1111 as a test in box 5 so it was obvious), and that amount showed there as an amount already entered, and only additional payments made elsewhere would be added to it in the extra boxes below it.

Opinion: The OPM does a disservice to all their employees and messes up the software companies by labelling their form as "1099-R" in big bold letters in the upper Rt of the form,  then in tiny, vertical squint-print along the left side, indicate it is a CSA-1099-R  (or CSF-1099-R for survivor benefits).  Long time recipients may have learned the difference, but new retirees will get it wrong.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

View solution in original post

2 Replies

OK...on my desktop Premier I see it propagating.

BUT....did you get the 1099-R from the OPM?

IF so, you may need to delete that form and enter it again.

If from OPM, that is not a 1099-R, that is a CSA-1099-R, and during the startup of the 1099-R section you need to select that CSA-1099-R type form.   Then enter all your boxes...then on one of the pages following the main form, the software asks how much of the box 5 amount was for insurance premiums, you just repeat the proper amount...then it transfers.

I see it a bunch of pages into the Medical Deductions questions, where the page is labeled "How much did you spend on insurance premiums?   (I had used $1111 as a test in box 5 so it was obvious), and that amount showed there as an amount already entered, and only additional payments made elsewhere would be added to it in the extra boxes below it.

Opinion: The OPM does a disservice to all their employees and messes up the software companies by labelling their form as "1099-R" in big bold letters in the upper Rt of the form,  then in tiny, vertical squint-print along the left side, indicate it is a CSA-1099-R  (or CSF-1099-R for survivor benefits).  Long time recipients may have learned the difference, but new retirees will get it wrong.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

That was it!  Your advice was perfect!  Of course, I knew it was a CSA 1099R, but as you said, I looked at the upper right hand corner. saw 1099-R and clicked that.  Not even sure that I noticed the CSA 1099R in the drop down box.  So, I deleted, reentered, and it propagated immediately.  Thank you so much!  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies