turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sczeder

Property taxes real estate Turbo Tax won't allow me to enter an amount in the field "property tax on your main home"

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Property taxes real estate Turbo Tax won't allow me to enter an amount in the field "property tax on your main home"

This entry ends up on Schedule A which is estimated to be available on 1/17/19. There has not been an update this morning so it may come later today or tomorrow if they meet the estimated date. If that is the reason you cannot enter the property tax, the availability of Schedule A should fix it. You can track availability in the Review section of your tax return or by using this link: https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1908854-irs-forms-availability-table-for-turbotax-individual-perso...

I can make the entry in my Home and Business version but I suppose it's possible that the Deluxe version is not yet working. Do you have the latest program update installed on your computer?

itsdrhere

I am up to date.

Check this software workaround too if you see a "$0" in the entry field, and not a simple "$":

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/7084852

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
itsdrhere

Well, this one probably would have worked because I was getting the $0 in that field.  When trying this this morning, I now have a "Some error occured." message in a red box.  At leas they could have spelled occurred correctly!!
itsdrhere

Closing out and restarting seemed to take care of it, thanks for the hint.  Just hope the math behind it is working as there was no change to my federal or state tax due numbers.

if you got a number in there..it's probably OK now.  Federal Tax refunds changing depends on a number of situations..a) whether you are already into itemized deductions already with all your other deductions b) for prop taxes...whether the 10,000 limit for all state/local taxes has been exceeded...and c) whether your taxable income has already been reduced o zero.  

State tax changes s can vary depending on whether itemizing on state is allowed if Fed is in Std Ded mode...whether state taxable income is already at zero too, and also whether the state allows a state income deduction for property taxes paid.  States can vary on both of those.
____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
Anonymous
Not applicable

Feb. 16 2020: I am having the same propblem with the primary home property tax field "greyed out" and not accepting entries.

@Anonymous   Not sure about a Grey-out, just a "$0"

Try a double-click anyhow.

Anything beyond that is Customer Support during their working hours (PACIFIC time):

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/using-turbotax/help/what-is-the-turbotax-phone-number/00/25632

can't enter property tax on tu5botax 2021

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies