Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Prison work release fees as tax write off

When I was in prison I was in a work release center and I was working at a job making $50 an hour. That job was on the books and I paid taxes on it. In order to be at the center they took 55% of my gross pay after taxes. Since I technically pay for room and board by paying taxes, can I claim the 55% that they took from me as a tax write-off? I cannot get a job if I do not pay that. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

If you were an employee and receive a W-2, then any employee business expenses you incurred are not deductible on a federal tax return due to the tax code changes in effect for tax years 2018 thru 2025.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

You cannot claim a tax deduction or "write-off" for the work release room and board charge.

You do not pay for room and board through your taxes. Your tax pays for all government services, just like everyone else's tax. It is not directed to your own room and board. Only an insignificant fraction of your tax goes towards what the government pays for your room and board.

If you were living independently you would have to pay the full cost of your own room and board, and you would not get a tax deduction for that. Part of the deal for being in work release is that you pay for your own room and board, the same as if you were living on your own. There is no tax deduction for ordinary living expenses.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies