`

Preparing for 2018. If I take the standard deduction. Can I still claim the electric car tax break??

2018 electric car tax break standard deduction

Yes. The electric car credit is not reported on Schedule A, therefore taking the standard deduction will have no effect on this credit. 

Thank you very much that answers my question. From reading around. Is the $7,500 tax break a deduction from my gross income or is it a deduction from let’s say I owe $8,000 in federal taxes and I use the tax break and now I owe $500??? Thank you for your help

It is a below the line non-refundable credit. That means it is taken after your tax is computed (so it lowers your tax, not just your taxable income) but if your tax is zero-ed out, you do not get any remainder as a refund.