turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

MariJ4

Does tuition paid to a not-for-profit preschool count toward the Child and Dependent Care Credit if I use the time my child is there to work?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Does tuition paid to a not-for-profit preschool count toward the Child and Dependent Care Credit if I use the time my child is there to work?

Pre-school counts as child care so that you (and your spouse if married) can work.

See this IRS Pub For requirements:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch32.html#en_US_2015_publink1000174334

Education.   Expenses for a child in nursery school, preschool, or similar programs for children below the level of kindergarten are expenses for care. Expenses to attend kindergarten or a higher grade are not expenses for care. Do not use these expenses to figure your credit.   However, expenses for before- or after-school care of a child in kindergarten or a higher grade may be expenses for care.   Summer school and tutoring programs are not for care.

Example 1.

You take your 3-year-old child to a nursery school that provides lunch and educational activities as a part of its preschool childcare service. The lunch and educational activities are incidental to the childcare, and their cost can't be separated from the cost of care. You can count the total cost when you figure the credit.

Example 2.

You place your 10-year-old child in a boarding school so you can work full time. Only the part of the boarding school expense that is for the care of your child is a work-related expense. You can count that part of the expense in figuring your credit if it can be separated from the cost of education. You cannot count any part of the amount you pay the school for your child's education.

--------
If the care provider is an individual, the taxpayer identification number is his or her social security number or individual taxpayer identification number. If the care provider is an organization, then it is the employer identification number
(EIN).  

You do not have to show the taxpayer identification number if the care provider is a tax-exempt organization (such as a church or school). In this case, enter “Tax-Exempt” in the space where Form 2441 asks for the number.
---
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

2 Replies
MariJ4

Additional info: When I asked the preschool the response was that it did not qualify as care because it is a tax-exempted, non-profit academic enrichment program. They said it could only be counted as care if the preschool is part of the daily program at a child care center.  

Based on the information from TurboTax, I thought it could still be reported. Thanks in advance for any advice!

Pre-school counts as child care so that you (and your spouse if married) can work.

See this IRS Pub For requirements:  https://www.irs.gov/publications/p17/ch32.html#en_US_2015_publink1000174334

Education.   Expenses for a child in nursery school, preschool, or similar programs for children below the level of kindergarten are expenses for care. Expenses to attend kindergarten or a higher grade are not expenses for care. Do not use these expenses to figure your credit.   However, expenses for before- or after-school care of a child in kindergarten or a higher grade may be expenses for care.   Summer school and tutoring programs are not for care.

Example 1.

You take your 3-year-old child to a nursery school that provides lunch and educational activities as a part of its preschool childcare service. The lunch and educational activities are incidental to the childcare, and their cost can't be separated from the cost of care. You can count the total cost when you figure the credit.

Example 2.

You place your 10-year-old child in a boarding school so you can work full time. Only the part of the boarding school expense that is for the care of your child is a work-related expense. You can count that part of the expense in figuring your credit if it can be separated from the cost of education. You cannot count any part of the amount you pay the school for your child's education.

--------
If the care provider is an individual, the taxpayer identification number is his or her social security number or individual taxpayer identification number. If the care provider is an organization, then it is the employer identification number
(EIN).  

You do not have to show the taxpayer identification number if the care provider is a tax-exempt organization (such as a church or school). In this case, enter “Tax-Exempt” in the space where Form 2441 asks for the number.
---
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies