Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

"Placed in service" vs. date of acquisition for a vehicle--Form 8936

This question is re: the wording of IRS Form 8936: https://www.irs.gov/instructions/i8936

The key part of the qualifying for the electric vehicle credit (for me) is the instruction that reads: "You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year."

I have a Chevy Bolt being delivered to a dealership in late December. If I sign the paperwork for it and take ownership on 1/1/23 or later, does that date become the "Placed in service" date? Or is that date determined by the arrival at the dealership and when it was available to me?  I do not have a signed binding contract from the date of the order of the vehicle.  It was ordered as part of a replacement program as per GM's recall of the Chevy Bolt.

Any clarification is greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Ok ... there is a difference between a business definition of "placed in service" & "date of aquisition" is not the same as being the legal owner of the vehicle.  The date that  you sign for the car to take legal ownership/title to it which determines when you can take the EV credit.  

View solution in original post

20 Replies

@harlanpepper wrote:

If I sign the paperwork for it and take ownership on 1/1/23 or later, does that date become the "Placed in service" date?

Yes.  It is not "placed in service" until you take ownership of it (by signing for it).

Thank you.  That makes sense to me.  The context is a little more complicated than a typical car acquisition that I hope doesn't change the takeaway. 

If anyone cares to read, there's more info here:  https://www.reddit.com/r/tax/comments/zhw84u/placed_in_service_vs_date_of_acquisition_for_a/

Ok ... there is a difference between a business definition of "placed in service" & "date of aquisition" is not the same as being the legal owner of the vehicle.  The date that  you sign for the car to take legal ownership/title to it which determines when you can take the EV credit.  

That is what I've been assuming this whole time, but I wanted to get some confirmation from folks with more tax knowledge.  Thank you very much for the help.

aclsmb1smbacl
Returning Member

I have a simliar question...

If I sign a contract to purchase a Chevy Bolt EUV this last of December 2022 (which I'm assuming equals the Acquisition Date in Form 8936...although I don't really know if that is the correct definition), when GM vehicles do NOT qualify for the $7500 tax credit because GM reached the 200K cap a couple of years ago, BUT I do NOT take delivery (which I'm assuming equals the Placed in Service Date in Form 8936...although I don't really know if that is the correct definition) therefore place in service) until January 1, 2023 when that 200K cap is lifted for GM EVs...can I claim the tax credit in April 2024 for the 2023 tax year?

Anyone know the answer, please?

aclsmb1smbacl
Returning Member

Can you please help me understand...Are you saying that the date you sign the contract is the "date of acquisition" or  is the contract signing date the "date placed in service"? I was assuming the contract signing date is the "date of acquisition" (say December 24, 2022) and the "date placed in service" is the date when I take delivery of the vehicle (say January 1, 2023).  Is that correct?

I noticed the Energy.gov site has a section (https://afdc.energy.gov/laws/409) that is titled "Vehicles Placed In Service After December 31, 2022", but it doesn't mention anything like "Vehicles Acquired Before or After December 31, 2022"....so is the "Placed in Service" date the critical factor for Form 8936 and determines whether I would be able to claim the EV tax credit or is the "Date of Acquistion" is the determing factor or something else?

Vehicles Placed in Service After December 31, 2022

Beginning January 1, 2023, the Clean Vehicle Credit provisions remove manufacturer sales caps, expand the scope of eligible vehicles to include both EVs and FCEVs, require a traction battery that has at least seven kilowatt-hours (kWh), and establish criteria for a vehicle to be considered eligible that involve sourcing requirements for critical mineral extraction, processing, and recycling and battery component manufacturing and assembly. Vehicles that meet critical mineral requirements are eligible for $3,750 tax credit, and vehicles that meet battery component requirements are eligible for a $3,750 tax credit. Vehicles meeting both the critical mineral and the battery component requirements are eligible for a total tax credit of up to $7,500.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Also, this link regarding IRS 30D:  https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d has a section that suggest that if you have a binding contract before the new IRA rules were in place, but take delivery after that date, the previous rules apply...which then makes me think that if I signed a contract in December 2022 (the acqusition date?) to purchase an EV, the rules on the acquistion date dictate whether a vehicle is eligible for a tax credit and the date I take delivery and therefore, place the vehicle in service does NOT determine tax credit eligibility...any idea? Thanks for any information you can provide.

Transition Rule for Vehicles Purchased before August 16, 2022

If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying electric vehicle before August 16, 2022, but do not take possession of the vehicle until on or after August 16, 2022 (for example, because the vehicle has not been delivered), you may claim the EV credit based on the rules that were in effect before August 16, 2022. The final assembly requirement does not apply before August 16, 2022.

Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022

If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023, aside from the final assembly requirement, the rules in effect before the enactment of the Inflation Reduction Act for the EV credit apply (including those involving the manufacturing caps on vehicles sold). If you entered into a written binding contract to purchase a new qualifying vehicle before August 16, 2022, see the rule above.

What Is a Written Binding Contract?

In general, a written contract is binding if it is enforceable under State law and does not limit damages to a specified amount (for example, by use of a liquidated damages provision or the forfeiture of a deposit). While the enforceability of a contract under State law is a facts-and-circumstances determination to be made under relevant State law, if a customer has made a significant non-refundable deposit or down payment, it is an indication of a binding contract. For tax purposes in general, a contract provision that limits damages to an amount equal to at least 5 percent of the total contract price is not treated as limiting damages to a specified amount. For example, if a customer has made a non-refundable deposit or down payment of 5 percent of the total contract price, it is an indication of a binding contract. A contract is binding even if subject to a condition, as long as the condition is not within the control of either party. A contract will continue to be binding if the parties make insubstantial changes in its terms and conditions.

https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d

@aclsmb1smbacl as posted elsewhere, I suspect the 'aquisition date' becomes important because used vehicles will be eligible for the tax credit under certain circumstances.  on a new vehicle it's the "placed in service' date that is really applicable, but on a used vehicle, the 'placed in service' date could have been years ago, so it's the 'aquisition date' that is important.

What date are you the legal owner of the vehicle? 

It is the "placed in service" date that matters.  That is the first date that you can legally and permanently drive the vehicle away from the dealership.

aclsmb1smbacl
Returning Member

Thank you l…just to confirm is that true even if the vehicle is used for personal use only and not business? 

privacio
Returning Member

There is also the opposite case. Let's use an example where a vehicle is purchased by an individual (not a business), delivered, taken possession of, and placed in  service on 12/30/2022. The title application is submitted to the local DMV, but it may not be processed for a few weeks.

IRC Section 30D (see https://www.irs.gov/businesses/plug-in-electric-vehicle-credit-irc-30-and-irc-30d, the full text of 30D, and various notices) defines acquisition as "For purposes of the 30D credit, a vehicle is not considered acquired prior to the time when title to the vehicle passes to the taxpayer under state law.". It uses the "acquisition" term. Section 30D, however, does not seem to mention anything related to "acquision" when discussing Dec 31 2022/Jan 1 2023 and the term is only used in some specific instances. At the same time, the same guidance also uses terms "purchased", "delivered", "take possession", "place in service", or even "sold" when referring to various milestones, for example "Vehicles Purchased and Delivered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022" or "If you purchase and take possession of a qualifying electric vehicle after August 16, 2022 and before January 1, 2023".

On the other hand, the Inflation Reduction Act text specifies "Except as provided in paragraphs (2), (3), (4), and (5), the amendments made by this section shall apply to vehicles placed in service after December 31, 2022.", using the "placed in service" term. Here we ignore the exceptions such as Final Assembly requirement for simplicity, we can assume this example meets the NA Final Assembly criteria.

So would the vehicle in question, purchased, delivered, and placed in service on 12/30/2022 be eligible for tax credit in tax year 2022, under the pre-IRA rules or does the acquisition date play a role?

aclsmb1smbacl
Returning Member

Yep, I agree lots of terms without clear definitions and seemingly used almost interchangeably and/or used differently in the same context or different context.  Per the 6 bullet point list of basic/summary rules for qualifying directly from the instructions in IRS Form 8936 only mentions this “Date Placed in Service” concept (2nd bullet point below) which matches Line 3 of the actual form (Enter date vehicle was placed in service (MM/DD/YYYY)), but somehow the acquisition date seems to be used or applied…as Turbo Tax asks for it in the walkthrough wizard…although it is not on the actual IRS 8936 form…which suggests if you filed manually the acquisition date would not be captured anywhere. Anyway, the issue is how Line 3, “Enter date vehicle was placed in service (MM/DD/YYYY)” is actually defined…per Turbo Tax and EV Forums I have been told it is one of the 9 definitions I listed below and that the whatever specific definition “they” provided was 100% accurate and that every other definition provided by someone else counter to “their” definition was absolutely wrong and if used would constitute tax fraud. 🤔😏🙄😣 I’m exaggerating slightly to try to be a little light hearted about this whole thing because it is very confusing and really quite ridiculous and because some people have some pretty strong opinions in these various forums about the information they are providing. 🙂

Having said that I found this legal settlement or court ruling that makes me personally believe (although I’m sure anyone who disagrees will tell me that I’m committing tax fraud if I use that definition…🙂), that the definition for Line 3 is pretty straightforward like the IRS probably originally intended…and that is #2 below…which is take physical possession by driving the vehicle off the dealership’s lot…as you cannot place the vehicle in service for one’s own personal or business purpose without having physical possession unless…

one had a business that involved purchasing or leasing a new vehicle, adding a billboard on top of the vehicle, keeping the vehicle at the dealership, and receiving payment for the advertisement or one had a business to purchase or lease a new vehicles from the dealership so that the dealership could then use the vehicle as a loaner or test drive vehicle that you got paid for maybe like a modified Turo scenario, but where the car was kept at the dealership instead of you physically driving it off the lot. 😀 Again there are always outlier cases and ridiculous arguments that could be made to identify an exception to the rule.

https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/blog/2015/11/20/electric-vehicle-not-placed-in-service...

And just to be comprehensive…I personally think that the “Transition Rule for the IRA” with the definition of “Written Binding Contracts”  makes a lot of sense and was smart and fair because it specifically addressed the fact that many consumers were in limbo when the law essentially came out of nowhere…meaning if the “traditional definition” and use of the requirements specified in 8936 “Date Placed in Service” was immediately applied when the law went into effect…all those customers who placed orders or “purchased” EVs before that August 16th date, but had not taken delivery because their cars were not available (built and/or physically available to take possession?) would have been negatively impacted. I think the lawmakers, the President, and the IRS correctly understood that because there is/has been an EV shortage and lots of people had already placed orders or signed  “Written Binding Contracts” with a dealer for a future delivery date for their vehicle (when the law came out of nowhere), they needed to give those people a path forward to still qualify for the tax credit using 8936…instead of essentially punishing them with this new IRA law. But again that is just my simple minded opinion…that I’m sure many will disagree with me.

From Instructions on IRS Form 8936…

The following requirements must be met to qualify for the credit.
• You are the owner of the vehicle. If the vehicle is leased, only the lessor and not the lessee, is entitled to the credit.
• You placed the vehicle in service during your tax year.
• The vehicle is manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads, and highways.
• The original use of the vehicle began with you.

• You acquired the vehicle for use or to lease to others, and not for resale.
• You use the vehicle primarily in the United States.

—————

The 9 possible definitions for  Line 3 in IRS Form 8936, “Enter date vehicle was placed in service (MM/DD/YYYY)”: 

1. Date I signed the purchase agreement

2. Date I take physical possession (drive it off the dealership’s lot)

3. Date I take legal possession (which may or may not be the same as #2)

4. Date the loan is approved

5. Date on the title application

6. Date on the DMV registration application

7. Date I legally acquired the vehicle (which may or may not be #1, 2, 3, or 😎

8. Date I purchased the vehicle (which I assumed was #1, but again sounds like it could be one of the others since maybe a purchase is not complete until there has been an exchange of goods which means I have to take physical possession since I have funded the purchase but have not received anything in return?)

9. Date I take legal ownership (which may or may not be #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 above?)
privacio
Returning Member

Thank you for that thorough response.

Your interpretation sounds reasonable, and aligns with many definitions of "placed in service" across various resources. But it seems that even with the thoroughness of your of research, there still remains a high level of ambiguity and uncertainty, which makes tax/financial planning difficult.

Taxpayers may attempt to gather enough evidence to meet as many of the 9 bullet points as possible. Proving 1, 4, 5, 6 should be straightforward using the documents established during the sales process. However, is there a recommendation how to exactly determine and prove 2, 3, 7, 8, and 9?

dmbranco

What is the rule for eligible vehicles ordered between August 16, 2022 and December 31, 2022 (some payment made upon ordering) with delivery and main payment taking place in January, 2023?

Thank you

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

If you did not take possession of the vehicle until January of 2023, then the vehicle would not be placed in service nor considered acquired until January of 2023.  

A down payment does not count as acquiring the vehicle. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies