turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

SR3

In Turbo Tax, where do I enter foreign taxes paid in foreign currency for Form 1116, Part II?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

In Turbo Tax, where do I enter foreign taxes paid in foreign currency for Form 1116, Part II?

There is no place in TurboTax to enter the foreign taxes in foreign currency. It is not a required field. You just need to enter the US dollar amounts.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

There is no place in TurboTax to enter the foreign taxes in foreign currency. It is not a required field. You just need to enter the US dollar amounts.

In previous years I read here that I needed to manually write the amounts in foreign currency on the 1116, and also attach an explanation statement with the return re: the currency conversion. This caused me to have to mail my return in. Did the rules change this year?

Checked the IRS instruction and it still states you must enter the foreign currency amount in Part II and attach a detailed explanation about conversion method. The only thing I can find that says you don't need to enter foreign currency amounts is a "TIP" in the IRS instructions that says if the income is reported to you in USD on a 1099 or other legit document then you don't have to enter foreign currency amounts. I really want you to be right so I can e-file, but I can't find anything to support your answer.

@karenkailua Did you get any further clarity on this? I'm dealing with the same issue.

No response. The lack of follow up is super irritating. I'm trying really hard to avoid having to print and mail, but I think I'll have to.

@karenkailua @TurboTaxKarenJ I found this similar question and user commented that the solution was to get the desktop version of TurboTax which apparently allows editing the forms themselves, then we can e-file: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4702553-does-turbotax-not-support-reporting-a-tax-credit-on-foreig...>

Thanks! I really appreciate the info.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies