armstrmw

New $300 Care Act Adjustment - Possible State Return Error

I am using the Turbotax Premier edition to file my return this year.  The last item it had me confirm before finalizing my Federal Return was to enter the smaller of my Charitable Giving or $300.  I entered the $300 and then proceeded to my State Return.  Upon reviewing my State return it appears to only be recognizing the $300 as my charitable giving instead of the >$6k that I entered during the Federal Return.

Is this an error in the way Turbotax is importing my data from the Federal Return and if so how can I correct it?

DaveF1006

I think the issue you are having is that you enter $6K as charitable donations but you did not have enough charitable  donations for itemizing your deductions.  As a result, you are receiving a standard deduction thus eligible to receive up to $300 as a charitable contribution.  

I am not sure how of a standard deduction you received but to be able to claim itemized deductions, your itemized deduction amount would have to be over and above your current standard deduction. 

armstrmw

Thank you for he response Dave.  I have reviewed and can confirm that my state taxes are set up as itemized, not standard deduction.

Matthew

WendyN2

@DaveF1006 Please see my comment