turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jer29-11

Need to declare a 1033 election (involuntary conversion property) owned by LLC, in which I took Section 179. Can I make a 1033 election statement with TT Home/Business?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

Need to declare a 1033 election (involuntary conversion property) owned by LLC, in which I took Section 179. Can I make a 1033 election statement with TT Home/Business?

Yes, you can do it from  Forms Mode.  Go to Forms, and click on Open Form, and type in election to defer, see attached.   Choose the Election to Defer Gain Invol Conversion form and click on Open Form.   

Here is the full text of Publication 544, Sales and Other Dispositions of Assets.  https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p544.pdf 

Where in the step by step or forms do I enter the reduction in the basis of the new replacement property due to the deferral of the gain on the involuntary conversion property?

RobertG
Expert Alumni

You don't have to enter the reduction of the basis of the new replacement property anywhere. Just enter your new basis on the return where you first depreciate the property.

Your basis in the replacement property is reduced by the gain postponed.  You calculate the gain realized on the involuntary conversion using the IRC Section 1033(a)(2)(A) worksheet in TurboTax desktop Forms mode.  (Or you can use IRS Publication 544). Then you subtract that from the cost of the replacement property to get your new basis.   

@toddrub46

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
user420028
Returning Member

I think there's a calculation error on the Form 1033- Election to Defer Gain on Involuntary Conversion.

The computation of Realized gain doesn't use the cost of the replacement property, it uses the adjusted basis of the converted property.  In my opinion, the formulas don't allow gain to be deferred at all.

Three rounds of TurboTax help, and they finally say this computation is too complex for TurboTax and that I need to go to a CPA.   

If anyone else has better/different luck, I'm all ears.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies