RussStodieck

My wife is an independent contract nurse and receives a single 1099-Misc. Where do I enter employment expenses?

There appears to be only one section titled Employment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses.  My wife has nursing licenses fees, malpractice insurance, and drives her personal vehicle to and from different vaccination sites.  How do I capture all these expenses so they can be deducted?

Thanks,

Russell 

JohnW152

It's a fairly straightforward procedure  Take a look at the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli... for guidance.

You can generally deduct expenses that are directly related to the work that you do.  See What self-employed expenses can I deduct? for more information.

You have to list your wife as being a small business.  This means adding a schedule C to your tax return that lists her business income, deducts business expenses, and calculates net taxable income.  That net income is subject to income tax as well as self-employment tax (the employer and employee halves of social security and medicare withholding).  Business deductions on schedule C have nothing to do with personal itemized deductions on schedule A.  

If using Turbotax online, you will need to upgrade to the Self Employment version to prepare the schedule C.