Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My wife is an independent contract nurse and receives a single 1099-Misc. Where do I enter employment expenses?

There appears to be only one section titled Employment Expenses, Job-Related Expenses.  My wife has nursing licenses fees, malpractice insurance, and drives her personal vehicle to and from different vaccination sites.  How do I capture all these expenses so they can be deducted?

Thanks,

Russell 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
JohnW152
Expert Alumni

My wife is an independent contract nurse and receives a single 1099-Misc. Where do I enter employment expenses?

It's a fairly straightforward procedure  Take a look at the TurboTax Help article Where do I enter my self-employment business expenses, like home office, vehicle mileage, and suppli... for guidance.

You can generally deduct expenses that are directly related to the work that you do.  See What self-employed expenses can I deduct? for more information.

You have to list your wife as being a small business.  This means adding a schedule C to your tax return that lists her business income, deducts business expenses, and calculates net taxable income.  That net income is subject to income tax as well as self-employment tax (the employer and employee halves of social security and medicare withholding).  Business deductions on schedule C have nothing to do with personal itemized deductions on schedule A.  

If using Turbotax online, you will need to upgrade to the Self Employment version to prepare the schedule C. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies