Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dinamz11

My son is disabled do I get a tax credit

Is there a tax credit for my son that is disabled
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

There is no credit for claiming a disabled dependent unfortunately.

A couple of states have "disabled"  credits  and is addressed in the state interview ... read all the screens carefully in the state section.  

You have not mentioned your child's age.    If you have a disabled child older than 12 and you pay someone to take care of the child while you work you may still get the child and dependent care credit if you enter the information about the babysitter or childcare provider that you paid.  Otherwise, no, there is not a federal credit for having a disabled child.  Check your state's tax laws since there are a few states with such credits.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

A child's disability doesn't affect tax filing until he turns 19 (24 if a full time student). Then his disability allows him to continue to be considered a "Qualifying Child" for tax purposes*  regardless of age. There are no credits or deductions, other than that some items, e.g. special schooling, can be considered medical expenses.

*This is mainly for the Earned Income Credit. The age 17 (18 for 2021) limit still applies for the child tax credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies