turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My son is 17 and I didn’t receive a check for him. He turns 18 Aug 12, 2021. He is still in high school and will not graduate until May 2022

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
Destiny_Y_JD
Employee Tax Expert

My son is 17 and I didn’t receive a check for him. He turns 18 Aug 12, 2021. He is still in high school and will not graduate until May 2022

As far as the advanced child tax credit. if you have a 17-year-old that turns 18 before December 31, 2021 then you would receive $500 total for that dependent instead of the larger $3000. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

When will I receive the 500.00?

@Shevonboston81 wrote:

When will I receive the 500.00?

The Other Dependent tax credit of $500 is included in your federal tax refund.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
Hal_Al
Level 15

"As far as the advanced child tax credit. if you have a 17-year-old that turns 18 before December 31, 2021 then you would receive $500 total"  is a misstatement.   Your child is not eligible for any ADVANCED  payment.  That answer just means he is only eligible for the $500 "other dependent" credit, which will not receive until you file your 2021 tax return next year.  He is too old for any child tax credit.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies