Solved: My girl friend & I bought a house together in 2018. she claimed mortgage interest, points & mortgage insurance on her taxes. Can I claim them too?

My girl friend & I bought a house together in 2018. she claimed mortgage interest, points & mortgage insurance on her taxes. Can I claim them too?

my girl friend & I bought a house together.  she claimed mortgage interest, points & mortgage insurance on her taxes.  Can I claim them too?

No, not if she claimed them.  That would be double-dipping.  You could split the deductions according to the portion that each of you actually paid.  But you can't both claim 100% of the payments.

**Answers are correct to the best of my ability but do not constitute tax or legal advice.**

Unmarried couples claiming mortgage interest.
You pretty much have a choice. One can claim it all or you can split it. It's usually best if only one claims it, allowing the other to use the standard deduction.
You have to meet the rules, which are:
1. You are legally obligated to pay it
2. You actually pay it. Paying from a joint account where you made sufficient deposits to cover the payments will usually meet this standard. However. paying from your own account would be a stronger audit defense.