turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My company will no longer pay mileage travel hospital to hospital how can I claim in my next taxes, can I claim gas, oil change and tires?

Is any application from my cel can I use to track those items?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

My company will no longer pay mileage travel hospital to hospital how can I claim in my next taxes, can I claim gas, oil change and tires?

If you are an employee (you get a W-2), you can claim the mileage from one job location to another as a job-related expense. You cannot claim a deduction for trips between home and a job location. I agree with Carl's comment that you should use the standard mileage rate, and not try to track actual expenses.

However, job-related expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI limitation. That means that 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is subtracted from your total miscellaneous itemized deductions. Only the remaining amount is deductible. That's true whether you use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses. In addition, the deduction will not have any tax benefit unless your total itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction. So depending on your mileage, your income, and your other deductions, you might not actually get any deduction for the mileage.

The standard mileage rate for business use for 2017 is 53.5 cents per mile.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Carl
Level 15

You want to claim the "per-mile" deduction. Unless the absolute only thing you use the vehicle for is work, and nothing else what-so-ever, claiming the actual expenses is a paperwork tracking nightmare which if audited, chances are you would lose. Stick with the per-mile deduction and you'll be fine.
Understand that your "commuting miles", which is from your primary domicile to your primary place of employment, is never under any circumstances, deductible.
You'll claim work related miles for a W-2 job under the deductions and credits tab in the Job Related Expenses section. You will need to keepa log book of all miles driven for everything - not just work. Make sure you include your odometer readings for beginning of year and end of year in that log book also.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If you are an employee (you get a W-2), you can claim the mileage from one job location to another as a job-related expense. You cannot claim a deduction for trips between home and a job location. I agree with Carl's comment that you should use the standard mileage rate, and not try to track actual expenses.

However, job-related expenses are a miscellaneous itemized deduction subject to the 2% of AGI limitation. That means that 2% of your Adjusted Gross Income (AGI) is subtracted from your total miscellaneous itemized deductions. Only the remaining amount is deductible. That's true whether you use the standard mileage rate or actual expenses. In addition, the deduction will not have any tax benefit unless your total itemized deductions are more than your standard deduction. So depending on your mileage, your income, and your other deductions, you might not actually get any deduction for the mileage.

The standard mileage rate for business use for 2017 is 53.5 cents per mile.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies