saswad

My boat broke down during a charity volunteer trip requiring $1,500 worth of repairs. Are those repair cost tax deductible?

I volunteer for a church high school camp every year by bringing my boat to teach kids how to wakesurf. This year at the beginning of the trip with the kids on the boat, snapped the driveshaft. It required $1,500 worth of repairs. To get back on the lake, I paid for them. 

Since this accident/damage happened during a volunteer trip, are those costs deductible?

MaryK1101

You are welcome!

MaryK1101

No, unfortunately because you were the owner of the boat the repairs you made (even though the damage was in the course of charitable use), you still benefit from the repairs when you are not using for a charitable function.  

saswad

Bummer, but thanks for the response. 

MaryK1101

You are welcome!