Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

My 1098 form not having property tax info. But I got a property tax statement.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What is your question?

You can deduct real estate tax that you paid, whether or not it's on the Form 1098. If the real estate tax is not on the 1098 you should have some other records to show how much you paid, in case the IRS asks for proof. The statement that you have should be enough. You do not include the statement or other records with your tax return. Just enter the amount of tax that you paid.

To enter real estate tax in TurboTax if it's not on the 1098, in the Search box type "real estate tax" (without the quotes), then click the link that says "Jump to real estate tax."

DawnC
Expert Alumni

You can enter your real estate/property tax without a 1098.   Right below Mortgage Interest, there is a place to enter real estate/property taxes.  If you're a homeowner, your property taxes are entered in the Deductions & Credits section:

1. Sign in and open your return if you're not already in it.
  2. Inside TurboTax, search for property tax and select the Jump to link at the top of your search results.
  3. Answer Yes to the question Did you pay property or real estate taxes in 2023?
  4. Enter your property/real estate taxes on the next screen.

Tip: If you own additional properties for personal use (like a cabin or timeshare), make sure to include the property/real estate payments for those as well.   Property taxes are an itemized deduction.  

The SALT deduction (which is either state/local income tax plus property tax OR sales tax plus property tax) is capped at $5,000 for married couples filing separately and $10,000 for all other filers.   Enter all of your deductions, and TurboTax will choose the best deduction for you.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies