turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Mortgage, the loan was sold to a different lender, do I check 'paid off or refinanced with a different lender'?

I paid points to the original lender, who sold my loan. Would I not lose the credit for the points if I select sold or refinanced?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Mortgage, the loan was sold to a different lender, do I check 'paid off or refinanced with a different lender'?

Correct, you should not select the box for "paid off or refinanced with a different lender."  That does not apply to your situation.  You did not pay off the total balance and you did not chose to refinance; it was an automatic sale of the loan not of your doing.  

Because of this, you can then deduct the points shown on your HUD statement, even if your 1098 from the new lender does not list them. You will check the box for This is a new loan on which I paid points, and in the boxes that appear below, check, I bought or improved my main home with this loan in 2015.

After you enter your mortgage interest, the subsequent screen will ask you for the dollar amount of points paid. 

For more information on the requirements for deduction point, please see the helpful FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302279

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Correct, you should not select the box for "paid off or refinanced with a different lender."  That does not apply to your situation.  You did not pay off the total balance and you did not chose to refinance; it was an automatic sale of the loan not of your doing.  

Because of this, you can then deduct the points shown on your HUD statement, even if your 1098 from the new lender does not list them. You will check the box for This is a new loan on which I paid points, and in the boxes that appear below, check, I bought or improved my main home with this loan in 2015.

After you enter your mortgage interest, the subsequent screen will ask you for the dollar amount of points paid. 

For more information on the requirements for deduction point, please see the helpful FAQ below:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302279

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies