Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Medical premiums for non dependent

My son turned 25 in 2021 and he earned about 38,000 in 2021 and is not disabled or married,but I pay his and ours medical premiums out of pocket through our pension. I know he doesn’t qualify as a qualified relative normally, but I’m getting mixed information about him being able to qualify as a dependent for medical expenses because he’s wasn’t 26 and 26year olds can still be on parents medical. 

I also read section213a, which modifies section 152 and as a result it allows you to take medical tax deduction for a person making more than the 4300.00 income limit as long as you provide half of their support.

1.WELL how do you document/prove that.?

2.Can someone clear this up? Can I claim my medical premiums on my

tax return on schedule A for him or not?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

IRS Publication 502 Medical and Dental Expenses page 3 - https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf#page=3

You can include medical expenses you paid for an individual that would have been your dependent except that:
1. He or she received gross income of $4,300 or more in 2021;
2. He or she filed a joint return for 2021;

Please see my edited post for additional information 

The IRS Publication 502 is clear.  You can claim the medical expenses for someone on your tax return if you could have claimed them as a dependent except for the fact that their income was $4,300 or more for tax year 2021.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies