turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Tax Year Prior to 2020: Medical Expenses deduction

I'm just finding out just how messed up TurboTax 2019 is!

Schedule A, in a just updated TT Deluxe 2019 says medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of AGI are deductible.

Current Publication 502 for 2019 says medical expenses that exceed 10% of AGI are deductible.

I checked because I just saw a Dave Ramsey email about tax changes that said that for 2019, the threshold is 10%, NOT 7.5%, as for previous years.

It's January 30!  It's ridiculous that by now, Turbotax can't get something like this right.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

On December 20, 2019 Congress changed it back to 7.5%. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

Found this......

The floor for Medical deductions went back to 7.5% for everyone on the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020 passed on December 19, 2019.

https://storage.pardot.com/339101/115504/Consolidated_Appropriations_Act_2020.pdf

What current pub 502 did you find?  This IRS Publication 502 dated Jan 21, 2020 now says 7.5% on page 2 Introduction 3rd paragraph,

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

9 Replies

Does no-one at Turbotax check for tax-las changes???  That should have been done before TT 2019 was released back in December!

On December 20, 2019 Congress changed it back to 7.5%. 

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

The IRS changed it back to 7.5%.  I'm looking for a link.  Turbo Tax was updated back to 7.5% on Jan 15, 2020.

Found this......

The floor for Medical deductions went back to 7.5% for everyone on the Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2020 passed on December 19, 2019.

https://storage.pardot.com/339101/115504/Consolidated_Appropriations_Act_2020.pdf

What current pub 502 did you find?  This IRS Publication 502 dated Jan 21, 2020 now says 7.5% on page 2 Introduction 3rd paragraph,

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p502.pdf

I found a Pub 502 on IRS website that said for 2019, and said 10% threshold on medical expenses.  I evidently found the newer one later, because the pdf file I have saved now says 7.5%, as you state.

For 2020 taxable income, is medical deduction threshold 7.5% or 10% or some other percentage? Is tax program software up to date with IRS on this matter?

It is staying at 7.5% for everyone, under or over 65.

JulieC14
Expert Alumni

The medical deduction threshold is 7.5% for 2020.  And, yes, the TurboTax software is up to date on this item. 

For future questions related to whether TurboTax is up to date on a particular item, you can double check the availability of forms being up to date in TurboTax through this link:   IRS Form Availability in TurboTax 

If you are using the downloaded version of TurboTax, please make sure to keep your software program up to date.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies