turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

ataxed

Are medical expenses deductible for the year which they happened or for when they are paid. For example a procedure occurred in 2017, but was paid in 2018. Deduct 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
JohnW15
Intuit Alumni

Are medical expenses deductible for the year which they happened or for when they are paid. For example a procedure occurred in 2017, but was paid in 2018. Deduct 2017?

Medical expenses are deductible in the year they're actually paid.  But if you charged the entire bill to your credit card which you're still paying off, you can claim the full cost.

For more information, please see TurboTax FAQ "Am I allowed to deduct medical expenses I haven't paid for yet?," below.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774898

If I had a medical expense in 2021,that I charged to my credit card, but paid that charge in 2022, can I count the cost as a medical deduction on my 2022 taxes?

DawnC
Employee Tax Expert

You can deduct medical expenses that you paid for in 2022 An expense is considered paid when you charge it to your credit card, not when you pay the credit card bill.

So, no, the expense paid for (charged to cc) in 2021 would be reported on your 2021 tax return.   @7759as 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thanks

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies