Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

mm2

Made side money in a hobby/business and wanted to report to expense my materials/tools/etc. Is there anything special I should do in the process?

(For details it's 3D printing - bought tools to build 3d printers, repair, etc) Would like to expense the tools/printer parts and materials but not sure about depreciation and such.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
JaimeG

Made side money in a hobby/business and wanted to report to expense my materials/tools/etc. Is there anything special I should do in the process?

Follow these steps to declare this income and it's subsequent expenses on your return: 

1. Log in to your TurboTax Account
  2. From the main upper most tab select Federal Taxes
  3. In the secondary tab select Income and Expenses
  4. Scroll down to Less Common Income and select Show More
  5. Once the screen drops down select Start in Miscellaneous Income
  6. Then select Start to enter Hobby Income and Expenses.

The program will walk you through the process of declaring this income and any expenses related to its activity. Please note that the expenses cannot create a loss. Additionally they must deducted through Schedule A and are capped at 2% of you AGI.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
JaimeG

Follow these steps to declare this income and it's subsequent expenses on your return: 

1. Log in to your TurboTax Account
  2. From the main upper most tab select Federal Taxes
  3. In the secondary tab select Income and Expenses
  4. Scroll down to Less Common Income and select Show More
  5. Once the screen drops down select Start in Miscellaneous Income
  6. Then select Start to enter Hobby Income and Expenses.

The program will walk you through the process of declaring this income and any expenses related to its activity. Please note that the expenses cannot create a loss. Additionally they must deducted through Schedule A and are capped at 2% of you AGI.

mm2

So what's the difference in making it hobby income vs the 'schedule C'?
JaimeG

When you declare the Hobby Money through Other Income you are not obligated to pay Self-Employment Taxes on any income that is generated while with Schedule C you are. But, If you do use Schedule C you are allowed to have a net loss and that is not allowed with Hobby Income. If you have plans to establish this as a for-profit enterprise I suggest that your opt for a Schedule C filing.
mm2

Thanks Jamie! So if I plan to keep doing it, even if it's not profitable now but within 5 years(I believe I read that on another post to IRS) then it should be good as Schedule C? What are the taxes like for Self Employment Tax? I Assume it's only taxed on the SET Income? And would I need to do anything specific for the deprecation/etc with Schedule C vs A?

I guess with that last one is there really any other negative to C except for  Self Employment Tax?
JaimeG

Yes you are correct, the Self-Employment Tax is only applied to any gains from the activity when you use Schedule C. To elect depreciation would be your choice, if you buy equipment that has a lifetime of more than 1 year then it is possible that the cost be amortized. The option to depreciating your equipment would be applying Sec 179. This would allow you to expense the purchase or otherwise depreciable equipment. The major factor with Sec. 179 is that it can't be used to create a loss. Before I go totally off topic I would recommend that you file with Schedule C, it would be more profitable in the long run and easier to deduct certain expenses.
mm2

Hey again Jaime, which field do I enter it under? I'm in Business Income and theres 1099-Misc, general, other, and gave back. Assuming income goes under one of the 2nd or 3rd but not sure.
JaimeG

If you didn't receive any 1099s for your income in 2016, General income is the name of the game for this year. The other sections are for income that is formally reported through various series 1099 forms.
mm2

Thanks! Do I need to actually separate every expense or can I add them up somewhere else and put them in in a single or consolidated lines?
JaimeG

You will separate your expenses by category for example; Advertising and Promotion, Insurance, Meals & Entertainment, etc. You can sum up the items in each category and enter one line item per category. Nevertheless to keep everything safe I recommend that you create a light ledger in a spreadsheet and keep a copy in your records along with the receipts.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies