Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ced1106

How much can you say that you donated safely without proof

Also, for a donation of a noncash item worth less than $250, you need a receipt from the charity.

Sorry- with no proof, I wouldnt put down anything. In the future, itemize, get receipts AND use "its deductible". I also recommend taking pictures of your donations. 
rgleicher

I have Goodwill receipts but they only state the number of boxes and bags, not the actual items. The items aren't on Turbo Tax's list, so I'm guessing (most of the items are brand new). Anyone have an idea if that's acceptable? In total all the different donations add up to ~$800.
wreacto

Go to <a href="http://www.itsdeductible.com" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">www.itsdeductible.com</a> and you can find almost anything or put it in manually and get an answer. I always list out what I am donating on a sticky note or paper and then when I get the generic receipt from Goodwill with the date and bags/boxes, I just staple the list to the receipt. Ideally, I put the items in "itsdeductible" on a regular basis. Either way, I keep them in my IRS folder and just add them in before I file taxes.
david_ma

Just do it. Within reason, list your donations or whatever accurately, keep notes in your records, keep item assessments and mileage amounts etc. prudent, and call it a day and go to sleep and do not fret about it further. Do you really think you will be audited with a 30k-100k AGI and a few thou, or even tens of thou, of contributions? It is an honor system still to first order, and you will never ever be scrutinized over it. Hundreds for church/temple, hundreds for charity, hundreds in clothing, moderate amounts for mileage or whatever, a few hundreds for alum assns or do-good groups or pbs/scouts/schools/colleges etc etc etc, no worries. Just do it.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies