Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

It's saying I can't file my gf as a depenedent because I Didn't pay half of the house hold income. I payed the entire mortgage so trying to understand why that's the case

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

It's saying I can't file my gf as a depenedent because I Didn't pay half of the house hold income. I payed the entire mortgage so trying to understand why that's the case

Your GF cannot be claimed as a qualified relative for Head of Household filing status for you.  The dependent you claim for HOH must be blood-related.

Am I Head of Household?

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1894553-do-i-qualify-for-head-of-household

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2900097-what-is-a-qualifying-person-for-head-of-household

If you qualify as Head of Household, when you enter your marital status (single or married filing separately) into MyInfo, and then enter your qualifying dependent, TurboTax will offer HOH as your filing status.

If she lived with you the whole year and had less than $4400 of income you may be able to claim her for the $500 credit for other dependents.

CREDIT FOR OTHER DEPENDENTS

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/4499708-what-is-the-500-credit-for-other-dependents-family-tax-cre...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**
JamesG1
Expert Alumni

I suspect that the gf qualifies as a dependent but does not qualify as the qualifying relative for purposes of the Head of Household filing status.

A person who is not a blood relative may qualify for as a dependent if they meet the tests as a qualifying relative.

The tests for a qualifying relative are:

• Qualifying Child: They are not the “qualifying child” of another taxpayer or your “qualifying child.”
  • Gross Income: The dependent being claimed earns less than $4,400 in 2022.
  • Total Support: You provide more than half of the total support for the year.
  • Member of Household or Relationship: The person (a friend, girlfriend, non-blood relative) must live with you all year as a member of your household or be related to you.

However, a qualifying relative for dependency purposes would not necessarily qualify as the qualifying person for Head of Household purposes.

A qualifying relative that is too old to qualify as a child might be able to qualify as a relative for Head of Household. A qualifying relative would be:

• Your mother or father (including your stepfather or stepmother), if you're qualified to claim them as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such) OR
  • A relative related by blood, legal adoption, or marriage other than a parent (see the full list of qualifying relatives below) AND lived with you for more than half the year AND that you're able to claim as a dependent (even if you're not claiming them as such).
    • Qualifying relatives:
      • Your brother, sister, half brother, half sister, stepbrother, or stepsister.
      • Your grandparent, or other direct ancestor, but not foster parent.
      • A son or daughter of your brother or sister.
      • A son or daughter of your half brother or half sister.
      • A brother or sister of your father or mother. Your son-in-law, daughter-in-law, father-in-law, mother-in-law, brother-in-law, or sister-in-law.

TurboTax software will ask you simple questions and give you the tax deductions and credits for which you are eligible based upon your answers.

See this TurboTax Help.

@ctag920964 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies