turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Leaving IA for 1 year temp assgnmnt for work. I will sell my IA house, but return to IA in 1 year and buy another. Can I still deduct housing for the 1 year I am in CO?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

Leaving IA for 1 year temp assgnmnt for work. I will sell my IA house, but return to IA in 1 year and buy another. Can I still deduct housing for the 1 year I am in CO?

It makes no difference whether you sell your house or not.  If you are working at an assignment that is expected to last, and does last, for 1 year, or less than a year, your housing during that year is deductible as a job-related expense for a W-2 employee.  You would enter this under Job-related expenses for Schedule A. 

Job related expenses are entered in total and then 2% of your adjusted Gross Income is subtracted to arrive at the deductible amount.  In order to use this itemized deduction, your total itemized deductions, must exceed your standard deduction.  If you are paying AMT( Alternative Minimum Tax), this deductible amount will be added back to your income and thus would have no net effect on your tax.

You may also deduct other living costs such as food while working away from home and trips back to your old home, but you cannot deduct the cost of traveling from your temporary home to and from the job

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Anita01

It makes no difference whether you sell your house or not.  If you are working at an assignment that is expected to last, and does last, for 1 year, or less than a year, your housing during that year is deductible as a job-related expense for a W-2 employee.  You would enter this under Job-related expenses for Schedule A. 

Job related expenses are entered in total and then 2% of your adjusted Gross Income is subtracted to arrive at the deductible amount.  In order to use this itemized deduction, your total itemized deductions, must exceed your standard deduction.  If you are paying AMT( Alternative Minimum Tax), this deductible amount will be added back to your income and thus would have no net effect on your tax.

You may also deduct other living costs such as food while working away from home and trips back to your old home, but you cannot deduct the cost of traveling from your temporary home to and from the job

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies