Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the W-4! >> Event happening TOMORROW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

issue with schedule 1 input

My efile was rejected by the IRS because turbo tax incorrectly pulled over an income tax adjustment tied to my student loan interest paid (note that we are not doing itemized deductions so I don't know what anything was pulled over from schedule 1 to that line at all). This resulted in a conflict as our income was over the threshold and led to me needing to remove the student loan interest completely from the turbo tax file information (again... I'm not doing itemized deductions so it should not matter at all) and resubmit it. The error message from turbo tax did NOT recommend this solution but it directly fixes the error that the IRS noted. This is now fixed and I re-e-filed it without the $21 error that led to the IRS rejecting it.

This was missed in all the turbotax checks of the information and I have never had an issue before. It is unusual for me to have issues with turbotax after a decade of use. I must have missed this in my review of the documents before e-filing as this is the first year I have NOT been able to claim my student loan interest. 

If it gets accepted, I will update you so that you can see how to prevent this from happening to others. 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

Updated return was accepted wihtin minutes. This was clearly an automated check in the IRS systems comparing the adjusted income and that one line in the schedule 1 form. 

NOTE TO OTHERS: make sure if turbo tax includes schedule 1 form that it is really needed before e-filing. 

What was the exact error message or code ?    The student loan interest is an OPTIONAL  ADJUSTMENT to income and NOT a Sch A Itemized deduction and should have had not berring on the IRS accepting the return.  

unnamed (2).png

Agreed!

Bonus that it apparently should not have carried over at all. I put in the information into the deductions to see if it would be relevant in comparison to our income. It was not, and yet the schedule 1 form was included with a $21 adjustment for that line.

Ok ... this is truely a bug in the system ... I will alert the moderator ... thanks. 

That happened to me. I’m waiting for them to call me back to see if it is a bug in their system. It by removing it, my amount went down $6. Definitely not worth waiting weeks for it to be fixed. 

After I removed the student loan interest and resubmitted my return, it was accepted. It was basically $6 less. They were not sure of why this was happening when I spoke to them. 

I also had my return rejected 40 minutes after filing. Removed my student loan deductions (a whole net refund reduction of $11...) and resubmitted, waiting to see if it is rejected.

That said, I reached out to TurboTax chat for help and they told me my PIN number was wrong and I needed to reach out ti the IRS to get it fixed......talk about useless. 

BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

We are investigating whether this is software or an IRS rejection issue.  It would be helpful to have a TurboTax Token file to allow us to see this issue.

You can send us a “diagnostic” file with your “numbers” but not your personal information.  If you would like to do this, here are the instructions for TurboTax Online: 

Go to the black panel on the left side of your program and select Tax Tools. 

1. Then select Tools below Tax Tools.
  2. A window will pop up which says Tools Center.  
  3. On this screen, select Share my file with Agent.
  4. You will see a message explaining what the diagnostic copy is.  Click okay through this screen, and you will get a Token number.
  5. Reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

Here are the instructions for TurboTax Desktop:

1. Click Online
  2. Click Send Tax File to Agent
  3. Click Send on the prompt "Send a Diagnostic Copy of Your Return to an Agent."
  4. You will receive a token number; reply to this thread with your Token number. This will allow us to open a copy of your return without seeing any personal information.

Once we receive the token, reply to this thread and tag "@bstanley"  so  we can see what is going on and provide a solution.

@jediobiwan 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BrittanyS
Expert Alumni

The rejection was a known issue on the IRS side of processing returns.  The IRS was aware of the issue and has now resolved the rejection.  Any rejected returns can be resubmitted.  

@Babynurse1 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies