sbfall

Is the special standard meal allowance deduction for transportation workers no longer applicable? Why hasn't Publication 463 been updated?

I'm a Flight Attendant.  I normally take the standard special meal allowance deduction, but apparently I no longer can.  If that's the case, why did they raise the allowances $63/$68 (Domestic/Int'l) to $66/$71?

CarolynM

Unfortunately, the special allowances for transportation workers is gone for employees. 

The deductions for meals and travel that were previously reported on Form 2106 were removed as part of the new tax laws unless you are self-employed or a employed by the military.

For this reason, IRS Publication 463 hasn't been updated yet. 

The IRS raised the rates for purposes of employer reimbursement. 

I am sorry for the confusion.

CarolynM

I am sorry for the confusion.