turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Is the special standard meal allowance deduction for transportation workers no longer applicable? Why hasn't Publication 463 been updated?

I'm a Flight Attendant.  I normally take the standard special meal allowance deduction, but apparently I no longer can.  If that's the case, why did they raise the allowances $63/$68 (Domestic/Int'l) to $66/$71?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Is the special standard meal allowance deduction for transportation workers no longer applicable? Why hasn't Publication 463 been updated?

Unfortunately, the special allowances for transportation workers is gone for employees. 

The deductions for meals and travel that were previously reported on Form 2106 were removed as part of the new tax laws unless you are self-employed or a employed by the military.

For this reason, IRS Publication 463 hasn't been updated yet. 

The IRS raised the rates for purposes of employer reimbursement. 

I am sorry for the confusion.

View solution in original post

1 Reply

Unfortunately, the special allowances for transportation workers is gone for employees. 

The deductions for meals and travel that were previously reported on Form 2106 were removed as part of the new tax laws unless you are self-employed or a employed by the military.

For this reason, IRS Publication 463 hasn't been updated yet. 

The IRS raised the rates for purposes of employer reimbursement. 

I am sorry for the confusion.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies