Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Is margin interest paid tax deductible

Hello, I incurred margin interest on funds I borrowed to buy investment property. I saw another thread where it says I cannot add this margin interest to the "interest expenses" of the property like I would do for the mortgage interest:

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/investments-and-rental-properties/discussion/i-have-a-substantial-...

could you please clarify which is true?

Thank you very much for your help!

Thanks for your reply.  One quick question, if you are a professional trader and qualify for that tax status, can you deduct the marginal interest for personal spend like food and so on?  Thanks in advance.

Prwilkinson
Returning Member

Is margin interest paid to broker on stock purchases tax deductible?  What form is it deductible on?  When does form 4952 come into play to carry over disallowed interest expense?  

TurboTax has not asked about this at all?. 

While technically accurate, most of these replies gloss over the obvious effect for most middle class taxpayers.  It's one thing to say that you must itemize deductions on Schedule A, but given the substantial increase of the Standard Deduction under the 2018 tax cuts an investor's margin interest plus all other Schedule A deductions-- e.g., medical bills over a certain amount, home mortgage interest, etc.--  will have to exceed $25,100 for married filing jointly (under 65), and $26,450 (over 65).  That's a lot of margin interest! 🙂

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies