Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Kris3

Is it possible to depreciate an old car?

If an older car, a 2008 Camry is now being used for business starting July 2017, can depreciation be applied or is the car too old? Based on the miles, it is being used for business 80% and 20% personal. Can I still take depreciation or is it too old? If depreciation is possible, what is the cost basis? Is it the amount we paid when it was bought brand new in 2008, or the fair market value when it was placed in service July 2017?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can depreciate it but you can't a section 179. You must also use as your depreciable amount the lower of Fair Market Value of Adjusted Basis on the conversion date.

What Property Qualifies?

To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must meet all the following requirements.

• It must be eligible property.
  • It must be acquired for business use
  • It must have been acquired by purchase.
  • It must not be property described later under What Property Does Not Qualify .

Property Acquired for Business Use

To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must have been acquired for use in your trade or business. Property you acquire only for the production of income, such as investment property, rental property (if renting property is not your trade or business), and property that produces royalties, does not qualify

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Coleen3
Intuit Alumni

Yes, you can depreciate it but you can't a section 179. You must also use as your depreciable amount the lower of Fair Market Value of Adjusted Basis on the conversion date.

What Property Qualifies?

To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must meet all the following requirements.

• It must be eligible property.
  • It must be acquired for business use
  • It must have been acquired by purchase.
  • It must not be property described later under What Property Does Not Qualify .

Property Acquired for Business Use

To qualify for the section 179 deduction, your property must have been acquired for use in your trade or business. Property you acquire only for the production of income, such as investment property, rental property (if renting property is not your trade or business), and property that produces royalties, does not qualify

Kris3

Thanks a lot TurboTaxColeen, you explained it well.
excentr
Returning Member

I have a similar question but different: if you bought a used (15 year old) car in 2018 and took the standard mileage rate but want to change this year to the actual expense method, do you HAVE to claim depreciation and file form 4652 or do you have the option to use the actual expense method and not claim depreciation?

Hal_Al
Level 15

excentr
Returning Member

Thanks, I have already read this article but it doesn't answer my question.

I am trying to figure out if you use the "actual expense method", do you HAVE to claim depreciation and file form 4652 or do you have the option to use the actual expense method and not claim depreciation?

PatriciaV
Employee Tax Expert

Yes, the Actual Expenses method must include depreciation. The Standard Mileage method automatically includes a depreciation allowance as part of the mileage rate. 

If you choose to start with the standard mileage rate, you can switch back and forth between the methods from year to year. But if you start with actual expenses, you must stay with that method as long as you use the vehicle for business purposes.

@excentr 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
excentr
Returning Member

If I don't want to claim the depreciation (I've had the car for 4 years and it's 15 years old) do I have to claim it?

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

This is a tricky question because whether you take depreciation or not, when you sell the vehicle, the IRS REQUIRES you to "Recapture" the depreciation you took, 'OR COULD HAVE TAKEN" regardless if you took it or not. 

If you use the Standard Mileage Method, you will not use Form 4562 for depreciation. (as stated earlier, depreciation is built-in the standard mileage rate) 

If you need to figure the depreciation "Equivalent", you need to manually multiply the business miles per year by the "Depreciation equivalent" of each rte. This is only a factor when you sell the vehicle. 

It would be impossible to list the Business vehicle in TurboTax and NOT have the program generate Form 4562 (Depreciation) unless you use Standard Mileage. 

When you use Form 4562 for depreciation the depreciation (as an expense) stops when the life of the asset ends. So depreciation on a vehicle with a 5 year life would stop after the fifth year in service. 

When you use the standard mileage rate, the rate never stops to include the "Depreciation Equivalent". 

If this does not answer your inquiry, perhaps knowing WHY you don't want to claim depreciation would help us better answer you. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies