Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

hatedoingtaxes123
Returning Member

IRA Contribution with Federal extension but not state extension

Our area had a federal disaster so our federal taxes are not due until 5/15.  We can also make an IRA contribution until 5/15.  Our state did not extend our taxes.  If I input the deduction on my federal taxes it shows up on my state taxes.  I need to take it off my state taxes.  I looked through the state desktop program and do not see how I can do this.  Help!!!

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

What state? Every state program is different.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Since you are using the CD/Download TurboTax software, here is something you could do that will work for any state, but it has some disadvantages, which I have listed below.

File your federal and state tax returns from different TurboTax files. Save a copy of your tax return with a different file name. In the copy, remove the IRA contribution and complete the state return. File the federal return from the version that includes the IRA contribution, and file the state return from the version that does not include it. But you probably will not be able to e-file the state.

Disadvantages of this method:

• Somewhat complicated
  • Possibly confusing
  • Will probably require filing your state tax return by mail
  • May cause confusion next year, because no matter which 2022 file you transfer information from when you start your 2023 tax return, either the federal return or the state return will not be what you actually filed.

dmertz
Level 15

26 USC 219(f)(3) states that such a contribution is deemed to have made on the last day of the preceding taxable year, so seems proper that the deduction is included on your state tax return.  

some states do not give a deduction for IRA contributions.

It has nothing to do with having requested an extension of time.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies