Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Interest on Schedule A and Schedule E for STR

If you use your vacation rental for 3 days (<14 day and 10%) and you meet requirement to split costs you can deduct on schedule E, can you take the difference in interest off your schedule A? 

Example, 3 personal days and 40 rental days.  Because of personal use I report only 93% of interest against rental income on schedule E. I assume I can report the 7% of interest on my schedule A, but I wanted to check if that is true since IRS considers < 14 days investment property vs vacation (or second) home.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your figures, in terms of allocation, are correct but the 7% allocated to Schedule A (investment interest) is a miscellaneous itemized deduction which will be disallowed as a result of the TCJA (tax reform). 

Having used the property for personal purposes less than 10% of the fair rental days (and also less than 14 total days) means you did not use the property as a residence and, therefore, the interest not allocated to rental use is not considered qualified home mortgage interest. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your figures, in terms of allocation, are correct but the 7% allocated to Schedule A (investment interest) is a miscellaneous itemized deduction which will be disallowed as a result of the TCJA (tax reform). 

Having used the property for personal purposes less than 10% of the fair rental days (and also less than 14 total days) means you did not use the property as a residence and, therefore, the interest not allocated to rental use is not considered qualified home mortgage interest. 

Thank you.  

On the flip of that, I assume if I use the home 15 days and rent it 53, I can deduct 78% on schedule E and 22% on schedule A.  Is that correct?

@judyh47 wrote:

On the flip of that, I assume if I use the home 15 days and rent it 53, I can deduct 78% on schedule E and 22% on schedule A.  Is that correct?

Yes, that would be correct.

Obviously, your itemized deductions would have to exceed your standard deduction for the interest on Schedule A to have any impact.

Perfect, thank you!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies