turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Interest on Schedule A and Schedule E for STR

If you use your vacation rental for 3 days (<14 day and 10%) and you meet requirement to split costs you can deduct on schedule E, can you take the difference in interest off your schedule A? 

Example, 3 personal days and 40 rental days.  Because of personal use I report only 93% of interest against rental income on schedule E. I assume I can report the 7% of interest on my schedule A, but I wanted to check if that is true since IRS considers < 14 days investment property vs vacation (or second) home.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Your figures, in terms of allocation, are correct but the 7% allocated to Schedule A (investment interest) is a miscellaneous itemized deduction which will be disallowed as a result of the TCJA (tax reform). 

Having used the property for personal purposes less than 10% of the fair rental days (and also less than 14 total days) means you did not use the property as a residence and, therefore, the interest not allocated to rental use is not considered qualified home mortgage interest. 

View solution in original post

4 Replies

Your figures, in terms of allocation, are correct but the 7% allocated to Schedule A (investment interest) is a miscellaneous itemized deduction which will be disallowed as a result of the TCJA (tax reform). 

Having used the property for personal purposes less than 10% of the fair rental days (and also less than 14 total days) means you did not use the property as a residence and, therefore, the interest not allocated to rental use is not considered qualified home mortgage interest. 

Thank you.  

On the flip of that, I assume if I use the home 15 days and rent it 53, I can deduct 78% on schedule E and 22% on schedule A.  Is that correct?

@judyh47 wrote:

On the flip of that, I assume if I use the home 15 days and rent it 53, I can deduct 78% on schedule E and 22% on schedule A.  Is that correct?

Yes, that would be correct.

Obviously, your itemized deductions would have to exceed your standard deduction for the interest on Schedule A to have any impact.

Perfect, thank you!

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing

Related Content

Manage cookies