turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bare8569

In a HSA also a MSA?

i contributed money to a HSA. can i enter that in the MSA section? i do not see where i enter the HSA contribution amounts.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

In a HSA also a MSA?

HSA and MSA are similar but not the same. See IRS link https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

HSA - On your W-2, the Box 12 code W amount includes both the employer and employee pre-tax contributions, including incentives.  If you contributed to your HSA only through payroll deductions, do not enter them anywhere else in TurboTax. 

However, if your made after-tax contributions on your own (independent of your employer), then those contributions would be entered. You would have to enter them to calculate a deduction. Enter under the Medical section. 

On your HSA summary page, you will see Tax-free employer contributions, but it means both employer and employee contributions in total. It is just how the IRS codes it (Box 12 W)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
PaulaM
Expert Alumni

In a HSA also a MSA?

HSA and MSA are similar but not the same. See IRS link https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p969.pdf

HSA - On your W-2, the Box 12 code W amount includes both the employer and employee pre-tax contributions, including incentives.  If you contributed to your HSA only through payroll deductions, do not enter them anywhere else in TurboTax. 

However, if your made after-tax contributions on your own (independent of your employer), then those contributions would be entered. You would have to enter them to calculate a deduction. Enter under the Medical section. 

On your HSA summary page, you will see Tax-free employer contributions, but it means both employer and employee contributions in total. It is just how the IRS codes it (Box 12 W)

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies