Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

In 2024 after moving mid-year, how do I distribute these two things -- deductions for charitable contributions and large, early-year withdrawal from 401K -- between the state I left and the state I'm moving to in late June?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

In 2024 after moving mid-year, how do I distribute these two things -- deductions for charitable contributions and large, early-year withdrawal from 401K -- between the state I left and the state I'm moving to in late June?

You will be allocating income and charity donations to the states you lived in when the income was received/donations given.   You can ask detailed questions next year when you are actually preparing the returns if you get confused by the forms.

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Note: I've been retired 5.5 years.

Also, I'm itemizing in 2024.

When you prepare your 2024 return next year, you will need to prepare two part-year state returns.  It would b helpful for us to know which two states are involved, since some states do not have a state income tax and some states have reciprocal agreements.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901227-how-do-i-file-a-part-year-state-return

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901560-how-do-i-file-if-i-moved-to-a-different-state-last-year

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/2895983-how-do-i-allocate-split-income-for-a-part-year-state-retur...

https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901267-which-states-don-t-have-income-tax

https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/state-taxes/states-reciprocal-agreements...

**Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to offer the most correct information possible. The poster disclaims any legal responsibility for the accuracy of the information that is contained in this post.**

Thanks, xmasbaby01.  I'm moving from Virginia to Kansas.  Am married filing jointly, am a retired fed with a pension, which is not taxable in Kansas, but our social security is (currently only my wife is receiving).

There are 11 states that tax Social Security—Colorado, Connecticut, Kansas, Minnesota, Missouri, Montana, Nebraska, New Mexico, Rhode Island, Utah, and Vermont  These states offer varying degrees of income exemptions, but two mirror the federal tax schedule: MN and VT.

My remaining question is this:  If I withdrew the 401K money and paid the charitable contrinbutions while in Virginia, would all that go against my Virginia taxes and not Kansas?

You will be allocating income and charity donations to the states you lived in when the income was received/donations given.   You can ask detailed questions next year when you are actually preparing the returns if you get confused by the forms.

Perfect, tks xmasbaby0.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies