If you were a part-time student who also worked pa...

ep_marie10

If you were a part-time student who also worked part-time last year, but couldn't afford more than half of your living expenses, could you still be claimed by someone?

I was under the age of 24 in 2019, but my combined income from both of my part-time jobs was not enough to cover more than half of my living expenses (I lived with/was supported by my parents).

If you were not a full time student some part of 5 months of the year   then your income must be less than $4250 for 2019 to be claimed as a dependent. 

Hal_Al

There are two types of dependents, "Qualifying Children"(QC) and standard ("Qualifying Relative" in IRS parlance even though they don't have to actually be related). There is no income limit for a QC but there is an age limit, student status (fulltime), a relationship test and residence test.  The support test is slightly different for each type. 

So, if you're over 18 and not a full time student, the $4200 income limit governs whether you can be a dependent.

If your income was less than $4200, the support test, for a qualifying relative,  is that your parents provided more than half your support. as opposed to the support test for a qualifying child, that you paid less than half your expenses.