turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We sold the camp and each received a check for $15,000 each. How do I claim this on my taxes?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

We sold the camp and each received a check for $15,000 each. How do I claim this on my taxes?

That would depend on what the camp was, how you used it and how you originally obtained it.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Anita01

That would depend on what the camp was, how you used it and how you originally obtained it.

Not sure what you mean, however, I received a 1099-S - how/where do I claim this?
Anita01

If you don't enter those detaiis, no one can help you.

We purchased the camp 30 years ago paying cash with my brother and his wife.  Use it in the summer on some weekends and one weekend for hunting in the winter. The camp was an old mobile home.

I don't know where to claim the 1099-S on my form
Anita01

If you never rented it out and it was always personal use, you would claim it as a second home.  Losses are not deductible but gains are taxable.  Yo enter it under Investment Income, stocks, mutual funds, etc., Say No to receiving a 1099-b or brokerage. Then choose second home, and enter your information.  Each of you and your brother would enter half the amounts in your returns.

To get there, enter the words Investment income in search then click the jump To

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies