Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Can i claim the miles i drive to drill for the national guard in minnesota

if so, where do I input the information
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

If you drive more than 100 miles each way, you can deduct your miles. 

Entry for the mileage deduction for reservists is different this year.  You will enter the information as job-related expenses, then indicate it was for reservist travel.  This will place it on your 1040 form as a reduction of your adjusted gross income, as usual.  To enter the miles, follow these steps:

1.  Select Federal Taxes, then Deductions and Credits.

2.  When the page opens, scroll down and select “Check for other tax breaks” if the full list does not display. 

3. Scroll down to Employment Expenses and select Job-Related Expenses.

4.  After some preliminary questions, you will be asked about vehicle expenses.  Enter the information on your vehicle and the miles driven for reserve duty.

5.  After entering all the info, it will calculate your deduction, return you to a Vehicle Summary page, then ask a few more follow-up questions.

6. As you click through the questions, look for a page titled Any Special Situations?    Select 'yes'. 

7.  On the following page, enter your mileage deduction in the block for Military Reservist Travel Expense.  This will move it to the correct place on your 1040 form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

1 Reply
BarbL
Employee Tax Expert

If you drive more than 100 miles each way, you can deduct your miles. 

Entry for the mileage deduction for reservists is different this year.  You will enter the information as job-related expenses, then indicate it was for reservist travel.  This will place it on your 1040 form as a reduction of your adjusted gross income, as usual.  To enter the miles, follow these steps:

1.  Select Federal Taxes, then Deductions and Credits.

2.  When the page opens, scroll down and select “Check for other tax breaks” if the full list does not display. 

3. Scroll down to Employment Expenses and select Job-Related Expenses.

4.  After some preliminary questions, you will be asked about vehicle expenses.  Enter the information on your vehicle and the miles driven for reserve duty.

5.  After entering all the info, it will calculate your deduction, return you to a Vehicle Summary page, then ask a few more follow-up questions.

6. As you click through the questions, look for a page titled Any Special Situations?    Select 'yes'. 

7.  On the following page, enter your mileage deduction in the block for Military Reservist Travel Expense.  This will move it to the correct place on your 1040 form.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies