turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

oshioshi

If I qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, why do I still owe federal tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If I qualify for the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion, why do I still owe federal tax?

Yes, if all of your income is excluded, Line 37 would be $0

However, I suspect that TurboTax is going to give you a error saying you can't e-file with $0 of income.  If that is the case, then add $1 of bank interest.  That will allow it to e-file.

View solution in original post

10 Replies

Do you have any other income?
Was ALL of your Foreign Earned Income able to be excluded?
Were you self employed?
Did you have any penalties, such as for withdrawing from a retirement account?
oshioshi

My foreign earned income is the ONLY income, and the entire amount was excluded.   I was employed by a foreign company, not self employed.   And I didn't have any penalties, deductions, or any other factors that may have affected a balance owed to the government (at least not that I can gather)

Look at your Form 1040.  On page 1, is Line 37 $0?  If not, is there anything besides Lines 7,21,22, and 37?  Is Line 21 the same number as Line 7 (except Line 21 is negative)?

On page 2, what is on Lines 44,45,46, and 47?  Is there anything on Lines 57-62 (if so, which line)?
oshioshi

Thanks Bill!  You prompted me to look at my 1040, and I saw that my balance due was for line 61 (healthcare).   I revisited it, and was able to reduce my balance to $0.   But is it correct, that my total income (37) can be 0 even if I earned foreign income?

Dear TaxGuyBill, I'm having nearly the same problem. I'm self employed. What's the deal? Can you help me?

If you are Self Employed, you owe Self Employment tax on your business profit.  That is not excluded.

Bill,

I am also self-employed (UN consultant) and qualify for the foreign earned income on all of my self-employment income for 2017. I understand I am still required to pay the 15.3% self employment tax. I can claim a student loan interest deduction (line 33), but how would this affect adjusted gross income (line 37) if total income is $0 (line 22 - which I assume is calculated by inputing my self-employment income on line 12 as a positive number and entering the same amount, as a negative number, on line 21)?

Should my adjusted gross income still be $0?

I've already filed my taxes but am very certain I mistakenly double-counted my self employment (it is included as a positive number on line 7 and line 12, and a negative number on line 21, so line 22 has the total amount of my self-employment income which is all included under the foreign earned income exclusion).

Sorry if that is confused, but essentially I think I paid the federal tax + self-employment tax when I should have only paid the self employment tax.

Yes, if all of your income is excluded, Line 37 would be $0

However, I suspect that TurboTax is going to give you a error saying you can't e-file with $0 of income.  If that is the case, then add $1 of bank interest.  That will allow it to e-file.

oshioshi

You are awesome!  Thanks Bill, you were SO helpful!
maglib
Level 11

If you claim the foreign earned income exclusion, the housing exclusion, or both, you must figure the tax on your nonexcluded income using the tax rates that would have applied had you not claimed the exclusions. See the Instructions for Form 1040 and complete the Foreign Earned Income Worksheet to figure the amount of tax to enter on Form 1040, line 11a.( If you must attach Form 6251 to your return, use the Foreign Earned Income Tax Worksheet provided in the Instructions for Form 6251). So your tax is calculated based on as if all income was earned in the US and you only get a credit up to the lower of the US tax rate or the foreign income tax rate.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies