Breazzeal1

If we recalculate my earned income credit using your 2019 earned income if it is greater than your 2020 earned income. Can we change it if it lower?

ColeenD3

Yes.

Yes you can use 2019 earned income instead of 2020 income to compute the child tax credit.

To do this in TurboTax:

• In Search, type earned income credit,
  • Click Jump to earned income credit,
  • Answer the questions until you reach Do you want to use last year’s earned income?
  • Click Yes and enter your 2019 Earned Income.

If your earned income was higher in 2019 than in 2020, you may get a higher EITC credit by using 2019 earned income. Try it both ways in TurboTax and see what works best for you.

AmeliesUncle

If I'm reading your question correctly ... 

No, if your 2019 Earned Income was LOWER than your 2020 Earned Income, it is NOT an option to use the 2019 amount.