turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

curious5

Paid 3 installments of property taxes in 2017 . Should I pay the Feb. 2018 property tax installment before the end of this year 2017?

California taxes and I do have the option to pay February 2018 in 2017.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Paid 3 installments of property taxes in 2017 . Should I pay the Feb. 2018 property tax installment before the end of this year 2017?

If the total of your 2018 itemized deductions for real estate tax plus state income tax (or state sales tax) will be more than $10,000, you will probably benefit from paying the Feb. 2018 real estate tax installment in 2017. This is assuming that the February installment has already been billed. See the following notice on the IRS web site.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-advisory-prepaid-real-property-taxes-may-be-deductible-in-2017-if-a...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Carl
Level 15

Sure. But why do you think you won't be able to deduct it, if paid in 2018? Is your property valued at more than $750,000? Perfectly feasible if you live in CA.
curious5

heard the new tax bill will limit state taxes plus property taxes to 10,000 which we exceed
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If the total of your 2018 itemized deductions for real estate tax plus state income tax (or state sales tax) will be more than $10,000, you will probably benefit from paying the Feb. 2018 real estate tax installment in 2017. This is assuming that the February installment has already been billed. See the following notice on the IRS web site.

https://www.irs.gov/newsroom/irs-advisory-prepaid-real-property-taxes-may-be-deductible-in-2017-if-a...

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The value of the property has nothing to do with the deduction for real estate tax. $750,000 is the maximum mortgage debt for which you can deduct mortgage interest in 2018.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies