turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

What do I enter as an explanation of the Foreign Tax Reduction on form 1116?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If the software has entered a number for 3a, you can just explain that it is a software  computed amount.

Please see the instructions from Form 1116, page 16 below:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1116.pdf

Lines 3a and 3b Some deductions don't definitely relate to either your foreign source income or your U.S. source income. Enter on lines 3a and 3b any deductions (other than interest expense) that: • Aren't shown on line 2, and • Aren't definitely related to your U.S. source income.

Line 3a. Enter the following itemized deductions (from Schedule A (Form 1040)) on line 3a. • Medical expenses (line 4). • General sales taxes (line 5). • Real estate taxes for your home (line 6). If you don't itemize deductions, enter your standard deduction on line 3a.

Line 3b. Enter on line 3b any other deductions that don't definitely relate to any specific type of income (for example, the deduction for alimony paid from Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 31a

View solution in original post

3 Replies
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

Is the reduction calculated by the program?
62barclay

also getting asked for explanation with no idea how to find what it wants explained.  saying needs explanation for other deductions on line 3b column a ???
KarenJ
Intuit Alumni

If the software has entered a number for 3a, you can just explain that it is a software  computed amount.

Please see the instructions from Form 1116, page 16 below:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1116.pdf

Lines 3a and 3b Some deductions don't definitely relate to either your foreign source income or your U.S. source income. Enter on lines 3a and 3b any deductions (other than interest expense) that: • Aren't shown on line 2, and • Aren't definitely related to your U.S. source income.

Line 3a. Enter the following itemized deductions (from Schedule A (Form 1040)) on line 3a. • Medical expenses (line 4). • General sales taxes (line 5). • Real estate taxes for your home (line 6). If you don't itemize deductions, enter your standard deduction on line 3a.

Line 3b. Enter on line 3b any other deductions that don't definitely relate to any specific type of income (for example, the deduction for alimony paid from Schedule 1 (Form 1040), line 31a

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies