Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

haylagmay

If someone paid partial cash for my vehicle, and I financed the rest, how do I report the sales tax?

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
MinhT1
Expert Alumni

If someone paid partial cash for my vehicle, and I financed the rest, how do I report the sales tax?

You can deduct the total sales tax shown on this invoice.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Carl
Level 15

I think @MinhT1 is understanding your post in a different way than I do. Your statement "I financed the rest" indicates to me a seller financed loan. If this is the situation then please clarify so that @MinhT1 can clarify their response if deemed necessary.

haylagmay

Thank you @Carl . @MinhT1 to clarify, I did the financing through a bank (the one that the authorized dealership offers financing through). Just to be sure- does this change your answer @MinhT1 

Vanessa A
Expert Alumni

No, financing through a dealership does not change the answer.  When you pay sales tax and take on a loan/liability for it, it is considered like you paid for the entire thing even though you are making payments. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies