Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

tkc10001

If my wife needed to move to another state for a portion of the year to receive medical treatment, is any portion of all the expenses incurred deductible?

I work for a state park in a very remote part of the county.  Our housing and the position requires that I live on site.

My wife had to temporarily relocate to receive medical treatment that just wasn't available in the area we lived in.

In addition to the medical bills there were other expenses of this relocation. (Housing, travel, moving, establishing and maintaining a place to live...) All told she was gone for the better part of the year receiving care and treatment.  During this time I of course visited when possible.

Is any portion of all these expenses deductible?

If so how and were do I enter them.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

If my wife needed to move to another state for a portion of the year to receive medical treatment, is any portion of all the expenses incurred deductible?

IRS allows you to deduct preventative care, treatment, surgeries and dental and vision care as qualifying medical expenses. You can also deduct visits to psychologists and psychiatrists. Prescription medications and appliances such as glasses, contacts, false teeth and hearing aids are also deductible. 

The cost of transportation in a household move may also be deductible if the primary reason for moving is medical. Not all move-related expenses may be deducted as medical expenses. For example, the cost of terminating a lease is not deductible as a medical expense. Only the taxpayer with the medical condition or ailment for whom such a move becomes necessary may deduct transportation costs associated with the move - not the entire cost of the move, or the cost of transporting family members and household belongings. 

The cost of transportation is not deductible if the travel is undertaken for the general improvement of one's health, even upon the recommendation of a physician.

To claim the medical expenses deduction, you must itemize your deductions. Itemizing requires that you not take the standard deduction, so you should only claim the medical expenses deduction if your itemized deductions are higher than your standard deduction (TurboTax will do this calculation for you). Note! The IRS allows you to deduct qualified medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income for 2017.

Where do I enter my medical expenses? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774888
For additional information follow the link 
Publication 502 (2017), Medical and Dental Expenses https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502

View solution in original post

1 Reply

IRS allows you to deduct preventative care, treatment, surgeries and dental and vision care as qualifying medical expenses. You can also deduct visits to psychologists and psychiatrists. Prescription medications and appliances such as glasses, contacts, false teeth and hearing aids are also deductible. 

The cost of transportation in a household move may also be deductible if the primary reason for moving is medical. Not all move-related expenses may be deducted as medical expenses. For example, the cost of terminating a lease is not deductible as a medical expense. Only the taxpayer with the medical condition or ailment for whom such a move becomes necessary may deduct transportation costs associated with the move - not the entire cost of the move, or the cost of transporting family members and household belongings. 

The cost of transportation is not deductible if the travel is undertaken for the general improvement of one's health, even upon the recommendation of a physician.

To claim the medical expenses deduction, you must itemize your deductions. Itemizing requires that you not take the standard deduction, so you should only claim the medical expenses deduction if your itemized deductions are higher than your standard deduction (TurboTax will do this calculation for you). Note! The IRS allows you to deduct qualified medical expenses that exceed 7.5% of your adjusted gross income for 2017.

Where do I enter my medical expenses? https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/4774888
For additional information follow the link 
Publication 502 (2017), Medical and Dental Expenses https://www.irs.gov/publications/p502
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies